Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Garlic - in a Very Wet Summer

This year when I harvested the garlic, the papery coverings were not very good.  There had been such a lot of rain... Lately I've been worried that the garlic won't "keep" as well as it has in the past, so a set aside a few bulbs to plant in October, and I've preserved the rest in two ways.  You can see the problem here.  The papery wrapper is all but gone.
So, I washed a lot of it, carefully peeled the cloves and rinsed them thoroughly under running water.


The first ferment is a remedy for colds and influenza. I took my small Fido jar and filled it about 2/3 full with the peeled cloves.  Next, I poured in enough raw honey to cover them, and sealed the jar.  What I read is that you should "burp" the jar every day until it doesn't burp anymore.  I think I will just let it go for a few weeks, as the extra pressure will slowly leak out of a Fido jar.  Then, I'll keep it in the cupboard.  If a cold or influenza is coming on, we'll eat 4 or more fermented cloves right away, and then as needed.

The second ferment is just to preserve the garlic for cooking.  I filled a quart canning jar about 2/3 full with the rinsed cloves.  I added 2 Tablespoons of live whey that I got from making kefir cheese. (You can also use the whey from plain yogurt.) and then poured in about 1/2 quart of simple brine, which is a mixture of 2 cups of water and 2 Tablespoons of plain sea salt.  This will set on the counter for several days and then I will store it in the refrigerator and just take out what I need for cooking.  This garlic keeps indefinitely and it is very convenient to have on hand, all ready to go! 

I think my kitchen might have the aroma of an Italian restaurant today.  It's very garlicky in here.  Fortunately, I love garlic!

Here are the two jars.  I'm certain you can tell them apart.

4 comments:

  1. I like garlic too but I don't like handling it i.e. peeling and chopping. So I usually buy already minced in a jar. I just read elsewhere that you can chop and mix with olive oil and freeze in cubes.

    You're brave! I don't think I could ever eat a clove of garlic, even converted with honey, no matter how sick I felt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minced in a jar must be very nice and convenient. I only do this because I grow my own.

      Delete
  2. I would love to hear an update on the honey/garlic ferment. I have never fermented with honey before.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...