Monday, January 21, 2013

Oats.... again :)


If you've read my blog for very long, you might recall that I LOVE oatmeal.  When I was a young teen, my sweet grandmother gave me a copy of An Old-Fashioned Girl, by Louisa May Alcott.
The main character, "Fannie," is a wonderful young girl and I was fascinated by her.  She ate oatmeal for breakfast every day.  That is why I learned to love oatmeal.  :)

Here is my "new" way to make it:

Real Oatmeal - 2 servings

1 cut oat groats (that is just the oat grain, not rolled or steel cut or anything.)
1 Tablespoon whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon live whey
nice clean water
pinch of salt

Rinse your oats and place them in a stainless or glass bowl, covered with at least 2 inches of water.  Add the whole wheat flour and whey.  Stir together, cover and let it soak for 24 hours.
Drain in a colander and rinse well.
Put the oats, the salt and 2 cups of water in a crock pot and let it cook on low all night.
In the morning it will be ready to eat.  It's very tender and nice.
I eat mine with butter and a little maple syrup.
I think you'd like it too if you enjoy oatmeal!
Leftovers can be eaten on subsequent days, but also make a nice addition to meatloaf or bread.

4 comments:

  1. I too love oatmeal! Is there any way to have the "live whey" if you don't make cheese/ kefir? Or a substitute? I would love to try groats. Thank you, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Angela, there is! Get some plain yogurt with live cultures and drain that through a clean cotton dish towel. The liquid is whey. The white stuff left is yogurt cheese and very nice in place of sour cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long do you let it drain? Thank you! Ordering some groats on Amazon right now. And I think I will read that book next- after 1200 plus pages of Les Mis- I think it is just what I need- or A Long Winter. Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 to 8 hours. So, overnight! Here is a nice video that will show you how.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4My76NXZw5E

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...