Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A collection of 3 tiny tips...

Here are three small things I want to tell you about... 

First, see the chives on this cutting board?





For the first time ever, I have a pot of chives growing in the house.  When they grow kind of tall, I just clip them off, cut them up and add them to soup or salad.  SO easy to grow!

Second, see the "jello?"




I made that with some of the juice leftover from canning the peaches the other day... like this ~

Healthy "Jello"

4 cups pure fruit juice
2 Tablespoons OR 2 little packets Knox gelatin
Cut up fresh fruit, and/or nuts, vegetables (optional)
A tiny amount of stevia to taste (optional)

Put the gelatin in a heat-proof mixing bowl. 

Put 2 cups of the juice in a saucepan and bring it to a boil and pour it over the gelatin.  Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.  Do not be in a hurry.

Add the cold juice. Stir.  By the way, do not be "generous" when measuring the juice.  If you use too much, your "jello" will be too soft.

If you want to use stevia, now is when to add it.  Be careful.  That stuff is incredibly sweet.

After combining all of the juice, pour it into a container that you can refrigerate.  At this time, if you wish, you can add whatever you like... cut up fruit, shredded veggies, chopped nuts, etc.

Refrigerate until set and THEN put on a lid.

Number three tip...




Ugh... when I was heating up the peach juice, it came to a boil and overflowed and by the time I got back to it, the stove-top had a nicely burned-on patch of peach juice.  Next to impossible to scrub off without hurting the porcelain.

Here is what I do.  It is easy and cheap.  I laid some cotton wash cloths on the burned-on patches, carefully saturated them with household ammonia (and holding my breath!) I covered them completely with some plastic shopping bags.  Then I put the grate back on there to hold it all in place (probably not necessary) and let it sit all night.

In the morning, take a deep breath and quickly remove all of that and rinse it out.  Then, take a damp cloth and simply wipe up the dissolved mess!  Voila!

4 comments:

  1. Are those the chives I got you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barkeeper's Friend. Great stuff. Does not appear to damage porcelain, as near as I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use that, too, but it will not take off this kind of burned on things. At least, not for me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...